[sf-lug] boot is full

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:26:57 PDT 2014

Hi,

I have been able to rm the /boot/.Trash-0

sudo du -h /boot
5.0K    /boot/grub/locale
4.0M    /boot/grub
12K    /boot/lost+found
1.0K    /boot/.Trash-0/info
1.0K    /boot/.Trash-0/files
3.0K    /boot/.Trash-0
39M    /boot

I have about 41 MB free in /boot, as far as I can see, which is 2x as much
as I need currently.  Obviously, I have learned a big lesson about making
sure that /boot is large enough when installing a virtual machine.

$ df -k /boot
Filesystem     1K-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1          89111 41277     41097  51% /boot

I am now probably going to be able to download kernel updates.  What led to
this problem in the first place was the fact that when I was starting my
Ubuntu update manager, it was telling me that /boot was full, and so I had
to clear out /boot before updating.  Today I was able to update to
3.11.0-24-generic just fine, which is the most recent version of the kernel
that is available to me, apparently:

$ uname -a
Linux laptop 3.11.0-24-generic #41~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 11 13:15:06
UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

In other words, you all have helped me do what I needed to do, which is
update my machine.  Thanks for that!

Once again, so many of my problems are caused by the need for just one or
two Microsoft Windows programs.  The only reason that I changed the size of
/boot was to accommodate the virtual machine, and the only reason that I
installed a virtual machine was to install Microsoft Windows.  And the only
reason that I installed Microsoft Windows was because it is required at the
place where I work.  So those of you who have seen me complain about
proprietary software and Microsoft Windows in particular now understand why
I dislike Microsoft so much.  Microsoft is a control freak.  They are not
happy unless everyone is using only their software.  It is because they
produce tatty software that, for the most part, people only use because
others use it, not because it is actually GOOD software.  I dislike bullies
and Microsoft is a bully.

Fortunately, the number of programs that can run only on Microsoft products
is now down to just three functions, as far as I can see.  It is two
proprietary programs that run only on Internet Explorer, and accessing the
network at work.  End of rant.

--
Christian Einfeldt