[sf-lug] meeting notes of Monday June 16 2014 plus a little follow up.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Jun 17 08:44:09 PDT 2014

    Well as I was riding the bus (#38 from Leavenworth) I noticed a
 box of stuff on the floor of the bus on a light wheeled carrier which
 looked familiar.  I checked the closest passenger and it was Mikki's
who has been having problems with the Ubuntu updates and upgrades.
She has not been able to get to the Internet, so she was going
to the meeting.

We arrived well before 6 PM and shortly Daniel G.  showed up
and with his help we managed to turn the WiFi on in the
PCEee but while the WiFi went right on line under Knoppix
the Ubuntu gave us a much harder time.  Seems like the
proper drivers had not been among the downloaded updates.
Daniel used a USB -WiFi card to get online and started to
download the proper updates for Mikki's machine.

     I did a partial investigation of the multi-distro disk from the
 recent LInux Pro magazine and the Puppy version did not work at all.
Most of  the others  worked to some extent and the System Rescue disk
was able to boot  up with a 64  bit kernel and then using startx to get
to the graphic  environment I was able to run GParted.

      Eric brought along an old, very limited SD and SIM card reader
that had 2 Gigabyte limits, it was made for XP and Windows 2000
apparently. Not much real information on the disk that came with it but
two programs and the Windows drivers.   It was made in the Moderne
style with a heavy body and a oval plastic  bracket to support it as well
as a special USB cable to let you avoid strain on a USB port.  FoneMate
apparently let you edit with the accompanying programs information
on SD and SIM cards.  The item was not wanted by the members and
may  have been left behind.

    Eric took a look at the magazines and seemed to spend some time
with him.  He also expressed an interest in the computers that
John S. is distributing and John S.  has been informed.

      We broke up the meeting at 8:15 PM and for a change everyone
  caught the same 38 Geary bus though Daniel and Eric left at
  Masonic.   I left Mikki on the bus after Geary Street and got home
  about 8:50 PM.

    This morning an e-mail from Mikki indicated that overnight she had
gotten the rest of the downloads and that for the moment the PCEee
was working OK.

    John S. replied that he will be happy to find a machine or two for
Eric and will be sure to give him boxes that actually work.

        Well the meeting was lightly attended but very cheering.

        Next meeting will be on Sunday, July 6.  Regular notice will be
posted about the end of this month.

    Bobbie Sellers