[sf-lug] More on HP using Linux for a new Machine with Linux based OS.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jun 16 11:24:05 PDT 2014

<http://www.techrepublic.com/article/hps-the-machine-kicks->microsoft-to-the-curb-in-favor-of-linux/>

>    I found this through the Tux Machines site.
>    <http://www.tuxmachines.org/>

	So more on the new Machine which will be using really
new technology for a commercial production machine.
	"In the words of HP Labs, The Machine will be a complete replacement
for current computer system architectures. There will be a new operating
system, a new type of memory (memristors), and super-fast
buses/peripheral interconnects (silicon photonics). Speaking to
Bloomberg, HP says it will commercialize The Machine within a few years,
“or fall on its face trying.”"

<http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/184165-hp-bets-it-all-on-the-machine-a-new-computer-architecture-based-on-memristors-and-silicon-photonics>

	It will likely be years before this stuff gets to consumer
level.  This information was gathered by leads from another mailing
list with more definite information than the original URL.
	The CPU chip is as yet undetermined.
	The idea seems to be no hard drive, no ram but a unified
memory in memristors packed around the cpu welded together by
silicon photonic connection to the CPU, the other items of the
connection such as connectivity devices and networking chips
by optical cabling.
	So IBM is working on photonic chips as well.

	Probably Microsoft refused to participate as they would have
to learn to deal with all this new technology with no immediate
advantage to them as they are basically exploiting the consumer market.

	I hope it all comes together for HP with this new computer
architecture though the chances are good that I will never use one.

	bliss