[sf-lug] seeking laptop recommendations to upgrade from thinkpad t61p

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 10:03:20 PDT 2014

If you're just looking for a performance improvement, (assuming you're
maxed out on memory), a cheap SSD is hard to beat.  I put a $50, 60G SSD
into an 8 year old 32bit Compaq clunker, and was really surprised by the
improvements (like a 25 second boot time, power on to login screen).
Depending upon your storage needs, a second disk may be added through a
DVD/CDROM caddy (but you may have boot issues with that).  Read the
reviews, the specs of SSDs are all over the place, the numbers are "fake"
anyway (using compression to up the MB/Sec ), and longevity is always a
question, but sounds like you like what you have, just want "more".