[sf-lug] seeking laptop recommendations to upgrade from thinkpad t61p

Samir Faci samir at esamir.com
Thu May 22 14:55:07 PDT 2014

I'm using an outdated Dell Latitude laptop for work and it's been working
pretty great for me.  This is an old model but for reference:  Latitude
E6420.

Everything has worked out of the box, though it's probably cause it's a few
years old.

the machine I have been meaning to get at some point is the HP-Envy line.
 HP ENVY 17t-j100 for example.

My usual preferences these days is for the i7 processors for laptop
especially and Nvidia based video card.

HP Envy is basically a wanna be macbook pro.  I've also tried mac though 1.
they're pricey and 2.  If you want to run Linux on it, usually the power
settings are a pain to get right.

If you want to full Linux hippy, you can try out the System76 and ZaReason.
 (My experience with ZaReason was less then stellar, though on the upside,
they're based in Oakland, so you can beat down their door if you get a
cruddy product).

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Michael Shiloh <michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I love my trusty Thinkpad T61p, but it's getting quite old. Time to
> upgrade, but to what?
>
> I've owned many Thinkpads and loved them all. What are the Lenovo steps up
> from the T series?
>
> Or is it time to try something non-Lenovo?
>
> I strongly support what ZA Reason is doing, and would be inclined to go
> with them if one of their selections fits my needs. I know at least one of
> you uses a ZA Reason laptop and would love to hear your experience.
>
> Considerations:
>
> - What's a reasonable amount to spend? I expect to pay more than $1000 but
> need to keep it below $2000.
> - Some SSD for speed. Could be all SSD, or some SSD and some spinning disk.
> - I carry my laptop everywhere, so weight is a concern.
> - I use the laptop constantly, so a really good screen is important.
> - Nice keyboard. I'm spoiled by Thinkpads.
> - I love the Thinkpad joystick thingy between the GHBN buttons. I don't
> think I could get used to a trackpad. I've tried often and I hate them.
> - I travel quite often and long battery life is somewhat important,
> although on the one hand in-seat power is becoming more common and on the
> other hand some time away from the computer is a good thing too.
> - I speak publicly very often so flawless external monitor hookup is
> critical
> - I don't do many CPU intensive things. Mostly lots of web pages (I
> typically have 30 open tabs) and Thunderbird. Lots of Arduino compiles but
> that's pretty fast anyway. I mostly used git, Inkscape, OpenSCAD, Fritzing,
> vi, etc. I suspect lots of RAM and the SSD is more important that CPU
> speed, but I could be wrong.
> - Style is not terribly important to me (thank goodness)
> - Obviously something that works well with Linux (standard Ubuntu) without
> having to jump through too many hoops is important
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions for and against? General discussion?

Samir Faci
*insert title*
fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow

Sent from my non-iphone laptop.