[sf-lug] HeartBleed: BALUG.org & SF-LUG.{org, com} NOT vulnerable

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 12 17:04:30 PDT 2014

> HeartBleed: BALUG.org & SF-LUG.{org,com} NOT vulnerable

Eh?

Reminder:  The Heartbleed exploit is totally inappliable to Web servers
doing only ordinary HTTP.

https://www.balug.org/ doesn't appear to exist.  Nor do
https://www.sf-lug.org/ or https://www.sf-lug.com/ -- or, at minimum,
the three currently ignore my browser queries.  So:  What SSL Web hosts
in those DNS domains _do_ exist, Michael?  I can't remember any, so you
have me curious.

> Technical details:

OpenSSL versions?  Software linked to OpenSSL's TLS functions?  FYI,
those functions are inside libssl.

But you reminded me of a joke making the rounds during 1996's BSE scare
about British beef.[1]

Two cows in southern England were discussing the morning BBC news.
One of them said 'Aren't you afraid of mad cow disease?'  The second
replied 'Of course not.  I'm a squirrel.'

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy#The_ban_on_British_beef