[sf-lug] local area network set up on linux - tutorials, info

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 04:10:58 PDT 2014

Hi to all,
it looks like that I will have finally time to set up a local area network at home, however first I would like to do bit of studying so I would like to ask for recommendations for tutorials and info files on the topic of LAN and related stuff like TCP, Samba etc. - rather wider range I need to study quite a bit.

This is what I would like to do/have:

- default operation system in which I want to create it is going to be Linux, distribution Ubuntu or Mint, as much done from terminal as possible

- I would like to be able to have one Windows machine

- I need to connect printer, preferably accessible from all machines (Windows one included)

- I would like to share files between the machines

- there will be max 5 computers on the network for now
- no big volume file transfers are expected, speed is not a major thing I think

- in the future I would like to have an access to this network from a remote computer

Well that are things which I would like to be able to do. Please let me know where to find nice tutorials, I'm looking around the net by myself of course but I wold like to find something nice and I'm sure that you know quite plenty classics.

Many thanks,

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker