[sf-lug] Linux Mint arduino install issue - not able to update to newer version

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 23:45:09 PDT 2014

Hi Rick and all,
Thanks for the post. The first thing which I tried as I always do (99% of time) was to get the appropriate packages for Linux Mint, or Ubuntu, which generally worked fine for me (second too if it was the only option), apt-get install what I use. But after trying apt-get, aptitude and also software manager (well graphical interface) always getting 1.0.1 version of arduino (and updating/upgrading all system without any improvement), than I have felt that I do not have too many other options. I tried what I could and what should work I think but well arduino 1.0.5 was just not happening. So I went for the last resource which I could try based on my current knowledge and tip from Shane + tutorials and downloaded the last version, updated my knowledge how to process it and it worked. Not perfectly but at the moment I can do what I need to, so as temporary fix OK. I will go through your article and if there is a solution to my problem great! If not than alas I
 will have to stick to the solution which for now is doable even if not proper because I do not know at the moment of any alternative. I would like to have this sorted properly because I will use the arduino, relevant libraries and git for updating the repositories of our experimental incubator project quite for a while and intensively, so I need to clean this up, sooner better.

I'm actually not sure how well is Linux Mint or Ubuntu tuned with Arduino, I have seen I think in one article from few months ago quite a disappointment on the topic. Still not probably 1.0.1 version so there is something fishy happening here and I really wonder what could it be ...

Once more thanks,

Sincerely,

FAA

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:17 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

Quoting Frantisek Apfelbeck (algoldor at yahoo.com):

> However if I try to call for arduino from the terminal, it gives me
> this:
>
> The program 'arduino' is currently not installed. You can install it
> by typing: sudo apt-get install arduino
>

> So the question now is how to "install" the arduino 1.0.5 version on
> my machine so I do not have to run it from the terminal as ./arduino
> every time

Hmm.  Let's review.

You went 'upstream' to http://arduino.cc/en/main/software, downloaded a
tarball, and ran it in order to do stuff.  Not necessarily a horrible
idea (depending), _but_ going 'upstream' to non-distro, non-packaged
software has a serious cost, as you are now starting to realise.

Doing 'sudo apt-get install arduino' will install (or attempt to
install, anyway) a distro-maintained package of that name.  All other
things being equal, strongly favouring distro packages for software you
are motivated to install is A Good Thing.  Reasons why are detailed in
my editorial footnote to John Weatherwax's 2006 article, archived here:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/weatherwax.html#1

> ...also I would like to get updates in the future.

As I mention in my footnote, semi-automatic provision of updates is, in
the general case, one of the reasons to favour distro packages.