[sf-lug] Linux Mint arduino install issue - not able to update to newer version

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 19:04:59 PDT 2014

Hi Shane and all,
Thanks for the info, I've tried some of it, still no resolve.

I've again unpacked the tar file and run the arduino executable from terminal (well ~temporary/arduino/arduino-1.0.5/arduino - and clicked enter/execute) getting fallowing message after which the terminal did not respond and I had to ctrl-z the operation and kill it:

temporary/arduino/arduino-1.0.5/arduino
OpenJDK Client VM warning: You have loaded library /home/algoldor/temporary/arduino/arduino-1.0.5/lib/librxtxSerial.so which might have disabled stack guard. The VM will try to fix the stack guard now.
It's highly recommended that you fix the library with 'execstack -c <libfile>', or link it with '-z noexecstack'.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/algoldor/temporary/arduino/arduino-1.0.5/lib/librxtxSerial.so: /home/algoldor/temporary/arduino/arduino-1.0.5/lib/librxtxSerial.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch) thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/algoldor/temporary/arduino/arduino-1.0.5/lib/librxtxSerial.so: /home/algoldor/temporary/arduino/arduino-1.0.5/lib/librxtxSerial.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary1(ClassLoader.java:1965)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1890)
        at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.<clinit>(CommPortIdentifier.java:83)
        at processing.app.Editor.populateSerialMenu(Editor.java:962)
        at processing.app.Editor.buildToolsMenu(Editor.java:691)
        at processing.app.Editor.buildMenuBar(Editor.java:476)
        at processing.app.Editor.<init>(Editor.java:205)
        at processing.app.Base.handleOpen(Base.java:705)
        at processing.app.Base.handleOpen(Base.java:670)
        at processing.app.Base.handleNew(Base.java:566)
        at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:306)
        at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:195)

So I checked that no arduino was installed in /usr/share/arduino (no directory present) and tried the sudo aptitude install arduino. It installed the arduino, when run again it gave me arduino 1.0.1 version, so it doesn't seem to sort it out.

I've removed it with the sudo aptitude remove command, checked it is clean and after that I've erased the previously extracted files and untarred again. I've refreshed my knowledge of "executing the binary files" which was very weak anyway (using generally apt-get install instead), however I was puzzled by the arduino file which is claiming to be shell script (which I remember to be the case from the past). Anyway I went forward and to be sure used

$ sudo chmod  +x arduino #being in the same directory

$ sudo ./arduino

and I got exactly the same output as copied above. I've ls /usr/share/arduino - nothing, no such file or directory.

So that is my morning exercise so far, I'll try again today but I'm really getting short on ideas ... The only thing which comes to my mind is that I may have some issues with 64 bit architecture, so I will try to download the arduino 32 version 1.0.5.

The good thing is that I'm definitely getting much better on my Linux skills lately, the bad one is that I really need to continue with the experimental incubator project for which it really looks like "late version" of arduino is needed.

Thanks for any help,

Sincerely,

FAA

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:39 AM, Shane Tzen <shane at faultymonk.org> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Frantisek Apfelbeck <algoldor at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've downloaded the 1.0.5 version from arduino official page
>
> http://arduino.cc/en/main/software - for Linux 64 bit
>
> used tar to unpack it and interestingly when tried to install it by the
> usual ./config make etc. nothing happened
>
> "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop." (just an
> example)
>
> and no readme file in the directory to check for installation procedures ...

Also, just looked at the download.  Appears to be a binary
distribution.  So you just run the `arduino` binary wherever you've
untarred it.