[sf-lug] Meeting of Monday, 17 March 2014 - some details

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Mar 14 18:25:52 PDT 2014

Hi LUGgers,
     I wanted people to know I will have two new sets of cds and DVDs.
The CDs contain Puppy-Slacko 5.4.0 in PAE and No PAE versions.
The DVDs contain Kubuntu 13.10 in i386 and AMD_64 versions.

     Most know about Kubuntu but Slacko is something completely different.
Here is the scoop from Linux Distro Watch site:
  [Puppy Linux]     Puppy Linux 5.7 "Slacko" edition, a small and fast
distribution built from and compatible with Slackware's binary packages,
has been released as the "flagship" Puppy release. From the release
announcement: "Slacko Puppy is built from a 'Puppy builder' system named
Woof, which can build a Puppy Linux distribution from the binary
packages of any other distro. There are many 'puppies' built with Woof,
including Precise, Wary, Racy, and Slacko. A new release of Slacko Puppy
Linux is out! Slacko Puppy is built from Slackware-14.0 binary TXZ
packages, hence has binary compatibility with Slackware and access to
the Slackware, Salix and Slacky package repositories. More comprehensive
release notes and documentation of known issues are available. Slacko
5.7 is the first Puppy built from the woof-CE build system, forked from
Barry Kauler's Woof late last year after he announced his retirement
from Puppy development. It is the natural progression of Slacko 5.6 with
the added features introduced to woof-CE." More links for readers to
follow can be found on Barry Kauler's blog. Download:
slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso (161MB, MD5), slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso (162MB, MD5).
     If you cannot wait until Monday then you can go to:
<http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy>
and download the small distributions but don't forget to do the
MD5sum on the iso files.

     Also I have discovered a reason to run Ubuntu which is Krita which
is a digital painting application.  Sounds pretty good but so far is only
supplied in Ubuntu's PPA format archive.

     Hope to see a few of you all there.

     Bobbie Sellers