[sf-lug] upgrading versus wiping and installing new

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 17:24:29 PDT 2014

Thanks for your thoughts Jim.
  On the small (60G) SSD  I brought to the meeting, I used ext4 without
journaling, but still use ext2 for the USB flash sticks.
  I tend to use two 20-30G partitions for root, so for major upgrades, I
can avoid the "jumping-off-the-cliff" problem -- I can always go back to
the previous working version.  I don't keep a separate partition for
"home", but do have a sizable data partition for big things like my virtual
machines.  I tend to take the  "clean install" approach, but have noticed
that the Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 upgrade was easier for me because of the
lack of the ia32-libs package under 13.10.  The 13.04 32 libs just carried
over, and were immediately usable under the 13.10 upgrade, but the clean
13.10 install left me having to track down the needed libs for each
application.  Now that shouldn't have been too bad, but ldd/ld 64 bit claim
32 bit executables are "not an executable", so not much help there -- sigh,
need to file a bug.
l8r
Ken