[sf-lug] Today's meeting Sunday 2 March 2014 -- archiving using GUI

jim jim at systemateka.com
Mon Mar 3 08:16:43 PST 2014

     Bill wants his old Firefox bookmarks back.
He upgraded from ubuntu 10.* to Ubuntu 12.04
and discovered that his /home/<him>/ directory
seems completely empty.
     Firefox bookmarks are listed in
/home/<him>/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/bookmarkbackups
     It seems that Bill's problem could have been
addressed by backing up his home directory
before running destructive processes (such as
  upgrading).
     I don't know what GUI program (Ubuntu 12.04)
can archive ("make a tarball") files in a directory
tree (e.g. /home/bill/ ).
     If you do, please reply to the list, and thank you.