[sf-lug] Today's meeting Sunday 2 March 2014 --XPUD and more

jim jim at well.com
Mon Mar 3 08:03:49 PST 2014

John's notes re last Sunday:

"""

Universal USB installer is a piece of software that will allow you to
copy your Linux .ISO files to a thumb drive.  It works well.

YUMI version 2.0.0 will copy several Linux .ISO files to a thumb drive.
It will also located and download the files for you.  It creates a
multi-boot thumb drive and also works well.

Xpud is an older linux distro which is good for coffee shops.  It boots
quickly and find any SSIDs which are broadcast and allows you to quickly
attach to them.  The most current version of Xpud is 0.9.2 and the
developer has stopped working on this distro (darn). This distro also
includes links to Firefox (older version), YouTube, an instant messenger
called meebo.  It is quite nice, again, too bad development has stopped.

As a side note, I have some Sandisk thumb drives that the above software
doesn't want to acknowledge.  The Sandisk drives have a 'U3' partition
and then a regular partition.  However, those drives don't seems to be
acknowledged in Linux.   Not sure on that one....

"""

     The XPUD distro is DSL small and optimized for cafe
wifi use.
http://www.xpud.org/
     As it boots up, it detects only access points that are
broadcasting, it presents an initial wifi config choice for
connecting to valid SSIDs.
     It presents a menu for browsing and a few other
features common to cafe use.

     YUMI is a "Multiboot USB Creator.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/