[sf-lug] Today's meeting Sunday 2 March 2014

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Mar 2 16:50:49 PST 2014

Hi LUGgers,

         10:35 A.M. I arrived followed shortly John Strazziano,
then Ken Shaeffer and wife,  Maestro, Yong, Jason, Mickey,
Daniel, Jim, Mikki,  Bob and Eric  finally.

     John had a couple of laptop computers he was trying to dispose
of but he kept one.
     We tried several distributions on those.

      Daniel wanted to install Fedora but it would not give good
results on the Dell machine so finally PC LOS in 32 bit version worked
fine and he will install it when he has some time.
This could boot 64 bit versions of some systems but not the
ones we wanted to use originally.

     Ken was just helping everyone but especially
Yong and Mickie.

     Maestro wanted a 32 bit version of Fedora 20 and after some
experimentation yesterday I bought along the Jam spins which
seemed more adaptable.  Then he spent a lot of time working with
Mikki finding drivers on line for it using my Compaq.  I was running
back and forth trying to help Daniel with the new install then
showing him a few details of the KDE Plasma desktop environment.

     We had an accident in that one member knocked over
another's decaf soy latte but the damage was soon repaired
and if the proper cap had been kept on the cup the spill might
not have been as disastrous.  A fresh decaf, et al and we were
good to go.

     Jason had a friend's laptop computer on which Windows
was to be deprecated totally and then with a magazine disk,
which I supplied, he installed Mint!  It was a fine light machine
with excellent response.
     Jason also has some 3 GiB external drives he wishes to sell or
trade for other equipment.  He has lots of 8 GiB SD and Micro SD cards
as well for similar trade or sale.

     Mikki McGee was having a problem with the WiFi on her ASUS Eee
PC.   Maestro, Jim and Ken all worked on it

     Jim was showing off his new Zareason machine which he has made some
changes to lately as he mentions in his own post.

     We were having a lot of fun until about 1:30 PM when we broke
up and the last members of the group packed up their gear.  Jim brought
his car around and with as many people as we could cram
in stopped first at the FrankenArt studio where hot dogs were had
by at least 3 of the riders.  Jim dropped off Jason near Post and
Hyde then dropped me a couple of blocks along.

     If anyone is interested next meeting will be the 17th of this
month and I will have at least Kali-linux on hand.  I am planning
on getting Kubuntu which is KDE running over the Ubuntu system
instead of Unity.  More information about those ISOs will be
posted with the next meeting announcement.
     I must say that without the assistance of John in helping
set up a 3 table area for us it would have been much harder
to get 11 members together.  The Cafe Enchante was extremely
crowded and busy today.

     If I left anything out of these notes about the meeting please
inform me or the LUG asap.

     Thanks for your attention!

     Bobbie Sellers