[sf-lug] Fedora 20 out!

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Feb 27 20:03:42 PST 2014

  Hi LUGgers,
    It comes on this month's issue of Linux Pro s on a double sided DVD
with 32 bit on one side and 64 bit on the other.
     The issue contains information on a new ultra-secure package
system among other matters too numerous to rail on about here.

     If anyone wants a copy of Fedora 20 at the Sunday
meeting please let me know in advance as copying at the meeting may be
difficult as one other member needs some installation
help with a new laptop.

     Although I had a cold I spent a lot of last week putting a
PC Linux OS 64 bit 2013.12 on a Dell featuring a large
screen and an i5 processor.  It originally came with Windows
of course but the user had forgotten the password.   I tried
to fix this with various open source tools,
trinity-rescue-kit.3.4-build-372.iso, systemrescuecd-sparc-0.4.0.iso,
and the Super Grub disk all
of which failed to work to deal with the password problems.
     I had permission to install Linux and another user had tried to
install Ubuntu withour success.  I tried the version of KDE PCLOS
I use but it got nowhere.  I tried the Knoppix 7.20 but while it resized
the useless Windows 7 partition it was very uncomfortable on the Dell
laptop and I was bothered by the fact that Knoppix wants to install only
on Reiserfs.
     So the Full Monty worked except for the touchpad and today I talked
my friend thru setting up the Net connection and trying
to get the sound working for an hour+.

     Hope to see a few of you guys at the Sunday meeting.

     Bobbie