[sf-lug] Resurrecting an Asus EeePC 701 4GB

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 24 11:52:32 PST 2014

On 02/24/2014 11:27 AM, Matthew Petty wrote:
> Hi,
> The USB stick I'm using boots OK on my main laptop, so i know it
> works. The old laptop is set to boot to "Removable Media", and then
> the HDD (which is the 4GB SDD).
> I've tried: Xubuntu, Damn Small Linux, Puppy. All work on my main
> laptop, none of them work on the old laptop.
> I can get into the BIOS on the EeePC. I've switched off Quick Boot and
> Quiet Boot. It shows a table of system setup, then counts down 10
> seconds to boot, then just goes to the flashing cursor and sits there.
>
> UPDATE!
> It turns out that despite me setting the BIOS to boot to "Removable
> Media" first didn't actually mean that it did that. I tried using the
> at-boot selection menu, which showed a "FLASH" entry. I selected that,
> and it booted into the OS on the USB.
>
> So now I've tested the laptop with Puppy and Xubuntu, and they both
> boot up.
>
> So that's that problem solved. The issue now is that I'm not sure
> which of the drives is the laptops SDD. The USB creates a ramdisk I
> think, but I can't seem to find the existing files on the laptop SDD.
> I'll test again on my main laptop, to see what happens.
> Thanks for the advice!

         So what partition editor are you using to examine the disks on
the ASUS?

         I would suggest getting a copy of Knoppix which has no problems
with mounting most drives.
         It should mount the internal drive as well as the Flash Drive.
Then you could use the file manager Dolphin
to examine files on the drives.

     Well good luck.
     bliss