[sf-lug] can not boot LinuxMint from USB on a new machine - FreeDos HP 500-021kl

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 03:57:28 PST 2014

Hi to all,
after more than a decade I got a new computer to my hands (from grant) which is running FreeDos operation system, it is HP 500-021kl machine (at least that is the code name in South Korea, made in China). I've tried to boot Linux Mint (Cinnamon) from my USB stick so I can install it and I did not managed at all, it goes through to the FreeDos environment. I've got into the UEFI/Boot and I've changed the Boot Order at UEFI Boot Sources to:

USB Floppy/CD
USB Hard Drive
ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

Legacy Boot Sources
USB Floppy/CD
Hard Drive
   SATA0
   GH PicoN PMAP
ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

did not make any change. The memory stick works fine on other machines, I've tested it, boots up LinuxMint no problem at all.

I wonder what shall I do or rather where do I do mistake? I remember that during booting Ubuntu I think you had to press a special key in order to allow for booting from USB, but I can not find if this is the case for FreeDos too.

Any ideas how to sort this out? My goal is to install the Linux on the machine (and later on Windows, so dual boot). One thing which I'm considering is to break the warranty and take out the harddrive and install it on my linux machine but seems to me a bit heavy handed approach. The computer which I'm trying to reinstall has also CD/DVD drive so I could use this source as the linux image but on my own machine I've problem to access the DVD/CD - I did not used it at all for long time so I would have to go through the identifying the DVD/CD etc. (I think it may be quite old so the kernel doesn't support it easily, not sure).

Well any advice would be appreciated, many thanks!

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org