[sf-lug] SF Lug meeting Monday 20 January 2014 & notes from January 5 meeting.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 13 15:28:20 PST 2014

     SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 4 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.
     If I can get a fresh issue of Linux Pro magazine I will bring it
along.

        Meeting times are strictly nominal which means that I try
to show up on time or actually ahead of time, in case I have
to trouble shoot my set-up.  We leave if no other  interested
parties show up up by 7:30 Monday nights or 12:30  PM on
  Sundays.  On the other hand if you bring an interesting problem
or discussion we may hang out until long after the nominal time
to end the meeting.

     On January 5 the meeting was not large.
09:40 AM arrived at the Cafe Enchante to be greeted by Ken Schaeffer.
     Short live Kubuntu on DVD iso of less than a Gigabyte, briefly demoed.
     Has a lot of valuable tools for the small size but no
Thunderbird and no GIMP.  Several tools such as Kate were accessible at
once.  the kernel was 3.11.x.x Generic x 86_64 KDE version 4.11+
The big problem was that the Network Manager could not be accessed.
with this Live Distribution.  Installed I am sure it works fine.
     The software management would not work without a net connection and
the Network manager could not be accessed from the live version.

     Eventually Jim Stockford showed up then Eric.
     Ken gave Jim and myself presents of dark chocolate.
     JIm is excited about an upcoming Linux show and on the way
home I learned from Eric and Jim that there is a split at Noisebridge.
which is sad to hear of but happens with cutting edge organizations.
The usual group is still happening,

     Ken and Eric worked with their tablets and so forth.  Eric was
spending a lot of time with Linux Pro looking at the articles.

         Jason Kirk did not come to this meeting by forwarded me
two URLs that might be of interest to the LUG,
     One lists the 10 most frequently downloaded Linux distributions.
     Fedora is the top of his list and Puppy Linux is at the bottom,
the middle of the list has some surprises anent Gentoo and Slackware.
<http://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=120702>

     The other lists 9 instructional videos for the Kali Linux
distribution showing how to access some of its most interesting
capabilities including tapping encrypted WiFi connection and breaking
WPA/WPA2 security., as well as doing scans to determine penetration.
Some of the stuff is in French so has to be followed closely on screen.
<http://efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=125960>

     We broke up about 12:55 PM and went our ways which included
a visit by Eric, myself and Jim to the new Grocery Outlet Bargain Market
a block or so further out Geary then Jim gave us a ride home.

     Thanks for your attention and I hope we see you all at the next
meeting.

     Bobbie Sellers