[sf-lug] REMINDER BALUG TOMORROW Tu 2013-10-15: Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph: Code Review for Systems Administrators; & other BALUG News

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 14 06:29:52 PDT 2013

REMINDER BALUG TOMORROW Tu 2013-10-15: Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph: Code
Review for Systems Administrators; & other BALUG News

------------------------------

items, details further below:
2013-10-15: Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph: Code Review for Systems Administrators
giveaways (CDs/DVDs, book(s), ...)
volunteering to help BALUG (and add to your resume/experience)
Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

------------------------------

For our 2013-10-15 BALUG meeting, we're proud to present:

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph[1] on Code Review for Systems Administrators

The OpenStack project uses a public code review system
and automated series of unit and integration tests before merging to
confirm that code submitted is adhering to project standards and
doesn't cause problems for other software in the stack.

The OpenStack Infrastructure team not only manages this system using
all open source tools, like Gerrit and Jenkins for review and testing,
but also uses the system themselves for reviewing and testing changes
being made to systems running the infrastructure itself. Puppet
configuration files, Python scripts and more are subjected to
automated syntax tests and then collaboratively reviewed in public by
community and core team members alike before approval.

This talk will give you a walk through of the actual software used to
accomplish this and how this process has allowed the team to have a
considerably open, collaborative approach to systems administration
for the project infrastructure.

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph is an Automation and Tools Engineer at
HP[2] working on the OpenStack Infrastructure[3] team.  She is also a
member of the Ubuntu Community Council[4] and on the Board of
Directors for Partimus[5], a non-profit in the San Francisco Bay Area
providing Linux-based computers to schools in need.

1. http://www.princessleia.com/
2. http://www.hp.com/
3. http://ci.openstack.org/
4. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncil
5. http://partimus.org/

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP to:

                        rsvp at balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help
BALUG and the Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and meeting, and with
sufficient attendance, they also help ensure that we'll be able to eat
upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

                        6:30pm
                        Tuesday, October 15th, 2013 2013-10-15

                        Four Seas Restaurant
http://www.fourseasr.com/
                        731 Grant Ave.
                        San Francisco, CA 94108
                        Easy PARKING:
                          Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny:
                          http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but for dinner, for your gift of $13
           cash, we give you a gift of dinner - joining us for a yummy
           family-style Chinese dinner - tax and tip included (your gift
           also helps in our patronizing the restaurant venue).

------------------------------

We typically have various giveaway items at BALUG meetings.  We'll
likely have at least the below plus additional items.

CDs/DVDs/ISOs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We may also be able to "burn" images per request or copy to USB flash,
etc.  Donations of blank or +-RW media, USB flash, or funding thereof,
also appreciated.  See the above URL for details (and the inventory
(qty.) of what we specifically have "burned" and available on-hand does
also frequently change).

Book(s)!:
Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration
Thanks to Pearson's User Group program for providing these review
copies.  For details see:
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-talk-balug.org/2013-July/005034.html
Pearson User Group member page (member discounts: 35% off print,
45% off eBook):
http://www.informit.com/usergroupwelcome

------------------------------

volunteering to help BALUG (and add to your resume/experience)

Not only can you do useful and cool stuff volunteering to help BALUG,
but it can also be a way to gain useful and practical experience, and
could also be something to add to or round out one's resume.

There a quite a variety of opportunities to help BALUG.  Come talk to us
at a meeting and/or drop us a note at:
balug-contact at balug.org
These opportunities may include, among other possibilities:
o assist on speaker coordination/procurement, etc.
o assist on publicity
o chief/assistant cat herder
o Linux Systems Administration (e.g. do/assist/learn, with/under some
   quite experienced and skilled Linux systems administrators).
o webmaster, assistant webmaster, designer, graphic artist
o archivist/history/retrieval/etc.
o and other various/miscellaneous tasks BALUG "ought" to be doing or
   would be good to do (feel free to suggest ideas!)

Twitter - you can also follow BALUG on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org