[sf-lug] OLPC SF Community Summit 2013

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Sep 30 12:09:59 PDT 2013

Greetings and a Happy GNU 30 to you!

OLPC San Francisco will be hosting its fifth community summit this year.
Although called OLPC *SF* Community Summit, the event attracts people from
all over the world. We see representation from places like Mongolia,
Uruguay, Chad, India, Jamaica, Tuva and the Marshall Islands.

3 million laptops running Fedora and Sugar and GNOME! (and, just to be
clear, *none* have actually shipped with Windows. Ever.)

The newest in the line of XO laptops is the XO-4 Touch, running a
multi-core ARM processor from Marvell. The touch isn't capacitive or
resistive, but is implemented using a light grid! We have 5 year olds who
can modify "Pong" written in Python. We have the first gen kids showing up
at Google Summer of Code. More cool and good stuff at the event.

The event will be from Oct 18-20. The schedule will be filling up shortly
at http://www.olpcsf.org/CommunitySummit2013/schedule

Registration is open http://www.olpcsf.org/CommunitySummit2013/registration

We hope to see you at the summit!

cheers,