[sf-lug] my new enormous laptop

jim jim at systemateka.com
Mon Sep 16 18:20:23 PDT 2013

    I just got a 14" computer from Zareason. I've
been using a 10" for the last couple of years.
    This new one is huge! It's also 64 bits, which
was a surprise to me--Tony (at Zareason) says
64-bit Linux is fine these days, and if I want
some old nostalgic 32-bit software, I just download
the 32-bit libs and then the software.

    It's got Ubuntu 12.04.3 on it. The keyboard and
touchpad are much nicer--there's no sticky stuff on
them.
    It's got 8 GB RAM and 120GB SSD (about 100 GB of
available storage.
    It doesn't have Evolution, which I've been using
for the last nearly 10 years. I'm debating whether
to use Thunderbird instead, for a change (trouble is,
I don't know anything to be able to debate the two) .

    God, it's enormously big and has buttons and
stuff on it that even the kids at Zareason didn't
know completely. Zareason's web site calls it "Alto
4335"; there's no info as to the manufacturer.
    On the bottom it's got a bunch of Chinese
characters and "AQ12" and "EJORD000110 ST" after a
bar code.
    I'm glad I didn't buy a 15" job. I think I like
it; I'll know after I wrestle with 12.04.*; good
thing it's got an /etc/ directory.
    I'm taking it to the SF-LUG meeting tonight.