[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meeting today Sunday 1 September 2013

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Sep 1 15:12:34 PDT 2013

Hi LUGgers,

     10:40 I arrived at Cafe Enchante and begin to setup my notebook.
     Dana with a broken tablet and David just to see if the meeting was
still here today were the next to show up about 1100.

     11:05  John  Strazziano and Emilio G. Milan showed up then
Ken Schaeffer with his wife and the Raspberry Pi was running
Puppy Linux for the ARM.  It seems to be an easy setup and the
Pi board was in a neat little case designed for the purpose.  A
17 inch flat screen TV was used for the demo but Emilio had
a  screen design for aDVD player to be used in an auto.
Emilio G. Milan has a repair shop in Daly City 1(650)878-9630
and emilian37 at gmail.com he specializes in Windows & Macs
but was willing to set up the PI with Puppy Linux.

     I brought in the latest Linux Pro Magazine #154, it has articles on
Debian Hurd which is not yet ready for prime time apparently. Report
on the new Firefox OS phones, and lots of other interesting articles.
It features the Knoppix 7.2 on DVD and on the other side a live version
of Fedora 19 which comes with the Gnome 3 Desktop. This Desktop
Environment is so opaque that I downloaded the KDE version of Fedora
19. I then got access to the Console and was able to determine that this is
Kernel 3.9.5 and eventually that it has KDE 4.10.4.
This distribution may be exciting to people who are able to configure
it easily but I was unable to get it to connect to the local network.
It was
short of several tools I prefer to use such as Firefox which has the weak
substitute of Conqueror. Conqueror is looking more like Firefox.   The
network configuration for wireless has an interesting feature of putting up
wireless networks in range in the manner of radar-like screen showing
the available networks in concentric sweeps with of course the nearest one
at hand. It also featured an office package under the title Caligra
rather than
Libre Office.
     I would recommend for the Linux user with less experience and who does
not care for hassling with a highly technical interface, the PCLinux OS
over
this cutting edge distribution.

     Jim Stockford showed up but felt too ill to remain and left about
12:15.
Jason showed up after Jim left and  Eric showed up about 12:25.

     So we had a total of 9 members in attendance but only 8 at any
given time /**//*
which is still the best we have done at this location in several
year*//*s*/.

At12:40 Ken and wife took off.  Over the next 20 minutes those of
usremaining, unplugged  and packed up the equipment.

     Thanks for your attention.

     Bobbie Sellers