[sf-lug] has ubuntu caused me to regress in wifi features?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 01:19:52 PDT 2013

On 07/29/2013 05:28 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Michael Shiloh (michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com):
>
>> According to downloadcenter.intel.com (search for drivers and linux):
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi
>> is good for Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
>
> Um, the crosslinks are a bit confusing, and I'm not certain about this,
> but my surmise is that downloadcenter.intel.com is merely sending you
> back to the wireless.kernel.org site's iwlwifi _page_, because that page
> then further specifies that for 4965AGN you need _not_ iwlwifi but rather
> iwlegacy (because 4965AGN's one of several older Intel chip series --
> iwlwifi itself being compatible with only current-production Intel chips).

Very plausible explanation.

>> I could try to uninstall the iwlegacy package and install the
>> iwlwifi package and see what happens.
>
> I'm guessing nothing, unless you put in a newer Intel card.  ;->

What's driving me is the fact that this worked a couple of years ago. I
could just try booting from a live CD of say Ubuntu 12 or even 11. Might
be easier than trying to untangle drivers.

Hey, something else just occurred to me. Much to my shame, about half a
year ago I realized that my CPU was 64 bit capable (I know, how could
you not know. My excuse is that I got it used and old and just
presumed..) and so I'm now running 64 linux, whereas up until about 2
months ago I was running 32 bits. This doesn't change any of your
excellent research and very rational conclusions.