[sf-lug] has ubuntu caused me to regress in wifi features?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 10:55:50 PDT 2013

I'm pretty sure that a couple of years ago, using this very same laptop
(Thinkpad T61p), i was able to create a wifi access point. I was using
Ubuntu.

Now I'm using Xubuntu and I can't create an AP. At first I thought it
was due to Xubuntu, but now I'm convinced my wifi driver has regressed.

My driver is iwlegacy, which does not support Master mode. I found some
posts which suggest that Master mode was removed, or that a different
driver might support Master mode. But I couldn't nail down the details,
and experimentation failed to get me Master mode.

Any ideas?

Michael

P.s. It's slightly possible that this was a good few years ago and I was
using a different laptop, but I really don't think so.