[sf-lug] where should django apps go?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Jun 10 10:46:53 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Samir Faci <samir at esamir.com> wrote:
> Since nobody said anything in a while, I figured I'd chime in.
>
> I found that most of the time, packaged wb application in *Nix seems
> to do a pretty bad job.
>
> Half the tutorials on setting python and god help you rails, usually
> start by......
>
> ignore whatever came with your distribution and install pip or rvm

Hi Samir,

Thanks for replying. I got busy with grades, end-of-semester, etc. so
couldn't follow up. Yes, it is frustrating to see the instructions all
over the place. I have two requirements: 1) a scripted install in a
non-arbitrary location so that other applications that may co-exist on
this server know where this app is and can play nice. and 2) to be
able to do an offline install with all dependencies on a USB drive
(local repo?)

> Is there any reason you want to use a .deb file to distribute your
> application?  I'm not sure how good/ bad it is, since I haven't
> used it much, but isn't fabric the hip python thing to use for deployment?
The current platform is Fedora, so we are looking at RPM. The local
repo problem has been solved on that end. Deb is ok too...maybe we
could do DEB -> alien -> RPM

cheers,
Sameer