[sf-lug] setting up LAN

Shane Tzen shane at faultymonk.org
Mon May 13 11:55:36 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Frantisek Apfelbeck <algoldor at yahoo.com>wrote:

> - Internet connection/source is a local village cafe, the distance would
> be between 25-35 m (around 100 feet lets say). I have CAT5 cable which I
> have to cut and connect to get the distance on at least two spots, is it
> OK? Shall I solder the wires back or twisting around each other and taping
> by electrician tape is OK? Or shall I get a new CAT5 or CAT5 enhanced wire
> shall I look for another specification on the wire like the type of
> insulation etc? Now I have 08747M LS CABLE UTP 4PR 24 AWG CM CAT5 75C KS
> VERIFIED KSC 3342 HDPE 2010 X5 - I do not know what most of that knows ...

Practically speaking, you're most likely fine with cat5 or cat5e.
 Technically you need cat5e for gigabit speeds, but I've seen them work
(note that I've also seen lots of errors on some cat5 cables doing
gigabit).  Problem is that you can't necessarily predict that ahead of
time, so cat5e is the safer bet.  Max distance for UTP is basically 100
meters, so you're fine there.

Kinking or unwinding too much cable can also cause transceiver errors, so
it's best that you avoid soldering or doing something "special."  Probably
best to invest in a few keystone jacks and punch them down (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RJ45-wall.jpg).

It's also best to test the runs with a cable verifier (
http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-MS2-100-MicroScanner2-Verifier/dp/B000QJ3G42)
when
you're done, but they're pricey unless you happen to have them at work or
can borrow.

> - I will be connecting to a router in the cafe directly.
>
> - In the house I need to connect several computers both Linux and Windows
> based. I assume that I need router and because I want also wireless I need
> another wireless router, correct? Of course more CAT5 cables ... Something
> specific about routers which I should care about?
>
> - there will be max 3-4 computers connected in this network, there will be
> not a major data transfer between them, max copying some movie. On the
> other hand being able to watch a move from a computer in our living room
> but having that movie on some central shared hard drive would be nice but
> not necessary ...

Depending on the placements, you may be able to avoid doing too many runs
by judiciously placed switches.

>  - Do you think I should get one computer and dedicate it as a server? I
> have never run a server but I would like to start to learn how to do it. If
> so it would be Linux based but I'm not sure what distro shall I go for. I
> have used Ubuntu for past five years but I'm thinking about trying
> something else bit less user friendly and more terminal based so I improve
> a bit ...

You could just do a server install and leave off the GUI.  I'm partial to
stock Debian myself.

 - I wonder what would be a good tools to test the speed of the connection