[sf-lug] Introduction....

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 15:21:59 PDT 2013

quoting Samir Faci (samir at esamir.com)

>Well, I'm not sure I agree with that statement.. but I don't think
>LUGs/Linux need
>to focus solely on the OS.

* That's why we don't in the Linux Discussion Group/Problem Solving you
came to 18:00-20:00 Wednesdays as you saw when you met us and we encouraged
you to come back and bring whatever you want to the group. Same on Tuesdays
18:00-20:00 in the ix* Anything Unix based/Open Source Open Session...

>One thing I liked about LUGs, is that it
>wasn't just the technical
>aspect that drew people in, but also the community, philosophy behind
>and the whole idea

* I want to introduce you to Grant Bowman.He comes sometimes and is
reachable via grantbow at ubuntu.com. He is one of the 'king penguins' heading
up an organization called Partimus (partimus.org) that puts free Linux
boxes in schools...

* I volunteer with them from time to time and they just did a triage this
weekend but i didn't attend...

>Sharing information to make the world a better place? OLPC is a great
>example of using Linux
>for grander purposes.

* Many of us in the bay area Linux communities are all about this and I
also recommend you check out Richard Stallman's current projects as well as
Free Software Foundation/ F.O.S.S.'s as well though many are the same...

* If you want to put together projects and events please bring your ideas
on Tues., Wed. or both and we'd love to talk about them and help...

* We have projection in the room you met us in (Turing) if you want to do
things that way...

message ends

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Samir Faci <samir at esamir.com> wrote:

> [...]
> looks promising.
>

> >> 2.  I moved here from Chicago originally, and I was a bit surprised at
> >> some of the lack of organization for concrete events.
> >
> > For historical and (arguably) geographic reasons, there is a great deal
> > of fragmentation among separate efforts.  Most of those efforts are,
> > very frankly, a shadow of their former selves.  The 2000-ish dot-com
> > tech. industry depression hit the S.F. Bay Area really hard, and a large
> > part of the vibrant Linux community here ceased to exist because the
> > participants either moved out of the area (or country, depending) or
> > ceased to work in technology at all.  The fallout from the post-2008
> > financial crisis has been less severe (and less focussed on the tech.
> > industry), but still pretty dire, and again the Linux community took a
> > hit, making all of the various individual groups each a lot less strong.
>
> Ah, that's unfortunate, but understandable.  I saw some decline in Chicago
> as well, but I think it was mostly due to people's priorities shifting
> rather
> then economy / boom related.  People graduating, moving on and nobody
> really
> stepping in to fill there shoes.
>

> > Also, there is a widely felt perception that Linux and open source are
> > just not new and exciting any more.  Instead, they're infrastructure.
> > There is a perception that LUGs are a solution to a problem from a
> > bygone decade, and no longer needed.
>
> Well, I'm not sure I agree with that statement.. but I don't think
> LUGs/Linux need
> to focus solely on the OS.  One thing I liked about LUGs, is that it
> wasn't just the technical
> aspect that drew people in, but also the community, philosophy behind
> and the whole idea
> Sharing information to make the world a better place? OLPC is a great
> example of using Linux
> for grander purposes.  John Maddog is another one, he had this whole
> project about bringing
> computing resources and making them more available in Brazil
> (http://www.projectcaua.org/ ).
> I always like hearing him speak.. I'm not always sure if he's projects
> are realistic...but he sure has some fun ideas.
>
> Anyways, that's the sort of mentality that appealed to me in lugs,
> much more then just getting
> together and installing Linux.
>
> sorry.. a minor hippy rant going on there.... back to your regular
> programs.
>

> >> I'm not aware of any Linux themed user conferences
> >
> > SCALE is by far one of the very best in North America.
> >
> > FWIW, you've just missed the second April meeting of CABAL, the Linux
> > user group that meets at my and my wife's house in Menlo Park, just
> > north of Stanford University.  http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/

> --
> Samir Faci
> *insert title*
> fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*