[sf-lug] is it possible to "upgrade" from a 32 bit linux to a 64 bit linux without re-installing?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 11:48:00 PDT 2013

Awhile back I discovered that I mis-read my laptop, thinking it's a 32
bit processor when it's in fact a 64 bit. I recently bought a new disk,
and one of these days plan to install the new disk with the correct version.

Then yesterday I updated Ubuntu from 12.10 to 13.04, and as I did so
thought: "shouldn't it be possible to do a similar thing to switch from
32 bit to 64 bit?"

I know it's much more complicated, probably would involve a sandbox and
some  chroot magic, and it might be less hassle to just do a fresh
install anyway (i'm pretty well backed up with all my files).

But it did get me wondering if  there's a tool to do this.

Anyone know?