[sf-lug] I need your Linux thoughts!

Zach Hanna chezbut at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 12:49:31 PDT 2013

At most small businesses or home offices machines are not on a public IP,
and most of the time the folks on site do not have access to the admin UI
to change port forwarding on the router or internet gateway.
I would suggest using the easiest closed or open source product such as
Team Viewer to establish an initial connection on the remote end (if they
have a GUI) and then taking control through that and setting up firewall
rules, remote SSH, etc.
You may also want to look into reverse SSH tunneling which would allow you
to punch a hole in a NAT connection and work forward from there and forward
SSH and VNC from there.