[sf-lug] what software can i use to track an object (hand) in a box using a webcam?

Kai Chang kai.salmon.chang at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 10:49:03 PDT 2013

This is a similar concept to the Leap. It's not open-source.

https://www.leapmotion.com/

I used a developer version of the device to record some hand gestures.
These are the X/Y positions of the fingertips (in the plane of the
screen).

http://fleetinbeing.net/leap-play/recorder-gallery.html

Here's a video of me using the device to rotate/scale a map
projection. This one uses the normal vector of the palm, and Y
position of the hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PZs7VHhypk

Anyways, probably not too helpful to your original problem of creating
a device from scratch.

Cheers,
Kai