[sf-lug] Anyone know of robust voice-actuated software?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 20 06:44:35 PDT 2013

> Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:45:59 -0700
> From: Ken Shaffer <kenshaffer80 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Anyone know of robust voice-actuated software?
>
> Carniegi Mellon also had something called sphinx for voice recognition.

Bingo!  ;-)

>> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:
>>
>>>     Someone on the Noisebridge list is asking for
>>> voice actuated software that lets the user issue
>>> commands to the operating system and input into
>>> various data files AND works reliably.
>>>     I'm hoping there's an open source project
>>> that addresses this need.
>>>     Do you know of any?

Or, when in doubt, ask.  And on a Debian system, with aptitude installed,
or similarly on many Debian derivative distributions - perhaps even
some that are "merely" .deb package based, we have something like:

$ aptitude search '?description(~(speech~|voice~).*recogni)'
p   gcompris                        - Educational games for small children
p   libgsm-tools                    - User binaries for a GSM speech
compressor
i A libgsm1                         - Shared libraries for GSM speech
compressor
p   libgsm1-dbg                     - Shared libraries for GSM speech
compressor
p   libgsm1-dev                     - Development libraries for a GSM
speech com
p   libsphinx2-dev                  - speech recognition library -
development k
p   libsphinx2g0                    - speech recognition library
p   libtorch3-dev                   - State of the art machine
learning library
p   libtorch3c2                     - State of the art machine
learning library
p   sphinx2-bin                     - speech recognition utilities
p   sphinx2-hmm-6k                  - speech recognition library -
default acous
p   w3-recs                         - Recommendations of the World
Wide Web Cons
$ aptitude show sphinx2-bin
Package: sphinx2-bin
State: not installed
Version: 0.6-2.1
  Sphinx 2 is a real-time, speaker-independent speech recognition system.

  This package contains examples and utilities that use Sphinx. It
also includes
  a sample language model that is capable of recognizing simple
commands like "go
  forward ten meters" and other commands one might use to tell a robot where to
  move.

Tags: accessibility::speech-recognition, interface::commandline,
role::program,
       scope::utility, works-with::audio

$ echo $(lsb_release -d; uname -m)
$ aptitude --simulate install sphinx2-bin
   libsphinx2g0{a} sphinx2-bin sphinx2-hmm-6k{a}
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 6404 kB of archives. After unpacking 24.2 MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.

For Debian, one can also search here:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages