[sf-lug] seeking update advice

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 13:11:08 PDT 2013

My $0.02 (or whatever worth you choose to assign it):

   - consider using 12.04 LTS instead of 13.04; this is mainly for the
   long-term support promised by the LTS designation
   - be careful if you choose to share directories between them; that could
   have unexpected consequences; I think I'd personally opt for completely
   segregated dual-boot

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:

> Hiya,
>     I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on an Atom-based laptop.
> Support lapses sometime before May of 2013. I like
> support.
>
>     I've got multiple partitions on my 500GB hard drive:
> /dev/sda1 on / ext4  --37GB total, 7GB used
> /dev/sda2 swap  --1GB
> /dev/sda3 on /home ext4 (rw, user_xattr)  -- 111GB total, 55GB used
> /dev/sda4 on /xtra ext4 (rw)  -- 19GB total, 1GB used
> /dev/sda5 on /z_s ext4 (rw)  -- 76GB total 180MB used
>
>     I don't upgrade. I backup all files except OS files,
> then wipe the drive, then reinstall a new OS from some
> external media, then copy my files from backup to
> whatever partitions I've dreamed up this time.
>
>     I'm entertaining the idea of two OSs, Ubuntu 13.04
> and Knoppix 7.0.5; I want to get hard media for each.
>
> QUESTIONS:
> * Are these releases okay or good? (Should I get older
>   releases or wait for an upcoming release?)
> * What are your recommendations for getting each distro
>   on physical media (CD or DVD or USB stick)? I don't
>   like downloading ISOs--my experience includes problems,
>   primarily with corrupt images. I like paying money to
>   support the development communities.
> * For previous Ubuntu releases I have added packages for
>   word processors, graphics, and other applications.
>     There is a lot of software overlap between Ubuntu and
>   Knoppix and some differences: for example, I like Abi
>   Word, which comes with Knoppix but not with Unbuntu
>   (not 10.04, anyway).
>     There may be differences in included libraries.
>
>     The clean, simple, stupid (a good thing, fewer bugs)
>   way is to install each distro in separate partitions and
>   use dual boot to work with either.
>     The complex, uber-smart, potentially hair-pulling
>   way is to install each such that they use the same
>   directories such as /var/ and /usr/ and /lib/ and
>   possibly /etc/ and so on, differing only in the /boot/
>   directories for grub and kernel and other differences.
>   This complex way will have to accommodate installation
>   of new packages
>     I'm sure there's a lot of middle ground between the two
>   above install cases. There's even install Ubuntu 13.04
>   and carry a Knoppix USB stick (I don't like this one much).
>     GOT IDEAS? RECOMMENDATIONS? THE EASY WAY? A MORE COMPLEX
>   WAY THAT HAS BENEFITS?
>
> with thanks,
> jim

There Are More Than Two Ways To Do It