[sf-lug] Live Fedora 18 distros used.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 4 14:57:48 PST 2013

      Hi Team,
          I downloaded the Live i686-KDE version and the x86_64 Live
Desktop.  Then finally the Live KDE x86_64.  Unfortunately I have no
UEFI to try the install on.  But it had been many years since I tried
any Fedora distribution as the available stuff back when I was
interested about 10 years back was hard to set up with a analog modem
Nowadays I use a DSL modem and Fedora was always up for that.

      The KDE version was quite lightweight as far as the included tools.
      I tried to write to an under-used Flash drive with no luck, 18 kept
trying to download Fedora 17 to write to the Flash drive.
      Other than lacking KDE tools I want to use, the KDE 4.9.4 was
smooth and as adaptable to my eccentric use as any other KDE
version that I have used in the last 10 years or so.

      The Live x86_64 Desktop was Mate and it resembles Gnome 3
or Windows 8 when you want to see the applications.  No real
menus.  I didn't even want this on my Flash Drive.  I am sure Gnome 3
works and am certain that people coming from Windows will find it
convenient and perhaps a happy experience.  Mate, I am told is a
disguised version of Gnome 3 by the way.

      So I may not ever install this but I am going for the x86_64
KDE-live version and see if it will work to install to a Flash drive.
That did no better.  Apparently the Fedora must be installed on the hard
drive before you can use the tool.

      So as far as setting it up on a flash drive Fedora fails not only
next to Knoppix but ExeLinux with Trinity(fork from KDE 3.5.9).

	And there are cli tools as well to create the USB drive which
instructions, using "dd", are on the Fedora site where you might expect
them to be.

     bliss