[sf-lug] Live Fedora 18 distros used.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 4 11:49:20 PST 2013

     Hi Luggers,
         I downloaded the Live i686-KDE version and the x86_64 Live Desktop.
Then finally the Live KDE x86_64.  Unfortunately I have no UEFI to try the
install on.  But it had been many years since I tried any Fedora
distribution
as the available stuff back when I was interested about 10 years back was
hard to set up with a analog modem  Nowadays I use a DSL modem and
Fedora was always up for that.

     The KDE version was quite lightweight as far as the included tools.
     I tried to write to an under-used Flash drive with no luck, 18 kept
trying to download Fedora 17 to write to the Flash drive.
     Other than lacking KDE tools I want to use, the KDE 4.9.4 was
smooth and as adaptable to my eccentric use as any other KDE
version that I have used in the last 10 years or so.

     The Live x86_64 Desktop was Mate and it resembles Gnome 3
or Windows 8 when you want to see the applications.  No real
menus.  I didn't even want this on my Flash Drive.  I am sure Gnome 3
works and am certain that people coming from Windows will find it
convenient and perhaps a happy experience.  Mate I am told is a disguised
version of Gnome 3 by the way.

     So I may not ever install this but I am going for the x86_64 KDE-live
version and see if it will work to install to a Flash drive.   That did
no better.
Apparently the Fedora must be installed on the hard drive before
you can use the tool.

     So as far as setting it up on a flash drive Fedora fails not only next
to Knoppix but ExeLinux with Trinity(fork from KDE 3.5.9).

     Bobbie Sellers