[sf-lug] A blog about Linux in local public schools

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:13:59 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote
> Quoting Larry Cafiero (larry.cafiero at gmail.com):

>> It doesn't sound like this company is in the elementary/middle/high
>> school business.
>
> And yet they are.  You have another about 18 hours, if you wish to
> accept the wager.

Again, I don't want to take your money, so I'm not taking your bet.
Even if I gave you 10-1 odds, the Ascend Learning site does not back
you up:

http://www.ascendlearning.com/

Last time I checked, health care and nursing were not a vital part of
the K-8 curriculum, but it's been awhile since I've been in an
elementary school setting.

But wait, there's more: On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Rick Moen
<rick at linuxmafia.com>also wrote in response to me:
>> Also, the PDF doesn't mention the Brooklyn-based company at all,
>> though it is an interesting read.
>
> Yes, it does.  Keep reading, as the mention of ASCEND is quite a few
> pages in.

You do realize that ASCEND, the name of the school, is an acronym for
"A School Cultivating Excellence, Nurturing Diversity," right? At
least that was it says in the PDF file which, as I mentioned, I read
and thought was interesting. Also looking into this, I found that --
yes -- they do get funding through the Oakland Schools Foundation but
none of the donors listed on the OSF site seem to be Ascend Learning.
Look for yourself:

http://www.oaklandschoolsfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/OSF_Supporters_List_2012.pdf

Maybe you could produce some evidence that Ascend Learning backs this school?