[sf-lug] A blog about Linux in local public schools

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 00:51:10 PST 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Larry, I'm willing to bet you $50 that Ascend School, at 3709 East 12th
> Street, Oakland, is administered by Ascend Learning, Inc., a private
> corporation headquartered in Brooklyn, New York, and not by
> Oakland Unified School District.  You're welcome to accept this wager by
> follow-up posting to this mailing list any time in the next 24 hours.

I'm not going to bet you, Rick, because I don't want to take your
money. From the link in your original post, if you go down a page,
you'll find this:

"Currently the Ascend Learning focus is primarily on higher education
schools in the healthcare and wellness industries. We’re proud of our
partnerships with the best educators and top colleges, universities
and businesses around the country."

That's here: http://www.ascendlearning.com/ascend-approach/

It doesn't sound like this company is in the elementary/middle/high
school business.

Also, the PDF doesn't mention the Brooklyn-based company at all,
though it is an interesting read.