[sf-lug] Security suggestions

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:39:46 PST 2013

Hi,

For the first time in 16 years, I am running my computers without
commercially-maintained firewall protection.  I am looking for some tips in
running behind nothing more strong than a Sonic.net firewall.  So my first
question is about the Sonic.net firewall.  Does it provide any significant
protection at all?

In the meantime, I am formulating my plans for security.  So far, my plan
is this:

   1. Put my primary computer with confidential info behind a firewall
   server.  The firewall would be an old Lubuntu machine with 512 MB of RAM.
   2. Reinstall that firewall server every 60 days with a fresh install.
   3. I will put no confidential info on the server.
   4. Turn off the firewall server whenever I am not on-line.  I am only
   going to be on-line in the evenings and weekends.

I have never installed a server before, only desktops.  This will be a
first time escapade for me.  I appreciate any tips.