[sf-lug] Big progress on launchpad's bug number one

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 7 11:46:15 PST 2013

Quoting Ehud Kaldor (ehud.kaldor at gmail.com):

>    one could argue that if those cloud hosting services belong to the same
>    company making the OS, the only difference is the location of the
>    persistent bits. it would be great if you can port Chrome OS to use
>    other services, or maybe your own home server.

Very valid point:  A thin client is not a problem if you can migrate to
use your choice of back end including a do-your-own one.  However, I
get the impression ChromeOS has a secret-sauce problem in that area.

I certainly could be quite wrong, having not looked closely.  However,
one reason I haven't looked closely is that, if someone gave me a
somewhat hardware-anaemic Atom-based netbook preloaded with ChromeOS,
probably the first thing I'd do is overwrite the preload with my
preference in standalone (and genuinely open source) Linux distro.