[sf-lug] SecureBoot/UEFI

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 16:54:49 PST 2012

Any x86 device can be set to Legacy Boot.    Any ARM-based Windows 8
device cannot be.    Laptops will in general be x86, which means
disabling UEFI is guaranteed.

Small-manpower distros should be able to use the OpenSUSE/Fedora
signing method with the shim bootloader, if I understand correctly.

Note that SecureBoot/UEFI will offer more security even to Linux/Unix users.

Source: articles from Matthew Garrett's blog, The H Online (der Heise)
and LWN, plus "Free as in Freedom" podcast, all recommended.

HTH,
Alison

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)                       {she-devel.com,