[sf-lug] Linux attacked by root kit!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 22 20:37:05 PST 2012

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> From BitTwister on Usenet.
>
> Linux malware is getting better
>
> Evildoers can now turn all sites on a Linux server into silent hell-pits
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/21/powerful_linux_rootkit/

Bobbie, I have two immediate recommendations.

1.  Please look up what a 'rootkit' is, so you can understand why
inherently such a thing cannot attack anything or anyone.

2.  Please don't be so quick to take seriously what trolling yoyos
at _The Register_ write (nor what antimalware firms' spokescritters
say to drum up business, either).

Beyond those general points, here's a reasonable specific comment:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2012/11/msg00036.html

Basically, http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/?page=virus#virus5 is still
correct.  (I haven't even needed to add more detail to it for seven
years.)