[sf-lug] email server problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 29 15:51:36 PDT 2012

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> 's okay now; fixed.

Yay!

At Jim's invitation, here are some of my offlist comments about
diagnosing such problems:

  It's really useful to know how to do manual SMTP sessions at the
  console.

  $ telnet mail.systemateka.com smtp
  Trying 173.13.130.169...
  telnet: connect to address 173.13.130.169: Operation timed out
  telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
  $

  Well, that's a really fundamental problem:  Postfix isn't even answering
  at all, when someone comes knocking.

  You need to make sure the Postfix daemon is running on the
  mail.systemateka.com host, and you need to make sure you are not
  firewalling off incoming connections to it on tcp port 25 (SMTP).

Again, compare to a _successful_ manual SMTP session, and notice the
difference between failing on 'connect... timeout' and getting an
answering 220 success response from the remote SMTP host:

  $ telnet linuxmafia.com smtp
  Trying 198.144.195.186...
  Connected to linuxmafia.com.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  220 linuxmafia.com ESMTP Exim 4.72 Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:31:10 -0700
  HELO linuxmafia.com
  250 linuxmafia.com Hello li3-98.members.linode.com [64.62.190.98]
  MAIL FROM: <test at www.svlug.org>
  250 OK
  RCPT TO: <postmaster at linuxmafia.com>
  250 Accepted
  DATA
  354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself