[sf-lug] email server problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 29 12:36:33 PDT 2012

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Is this not an interference with the Freedom of Speech, of Commerce
> and of Association by Comcast?

Facetious, right?

(1st Amendment is applicable to Federal departments and agencies, and,
via the 14th Amendment and related Incorporation Doctrine, to state
government.  Comcast is not any form of government entity.)

>     Thanks for the explication of the problem.

Yr. welcome -- although Jim's friends who tracked the blockage to his
cable modem deserve the real credit.

Here's an example of _successfully_ sending a test message using a manual
(simulated) SMTP session.  For this test, I simulated an SMTP server on
www.svlug.org that was attempting SMTP delivery to linuxmafia.com.

'gruyere' is www.svlug.org:

rick at gruyere:~$ telnet linuxmafia.com smtp
Trying 198.144.195.186...
Connected to linuxmafia.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 linuxmafia.com ESMTP Exim 4.72 Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:31:10 -0700
HELO linuxmafia.com
250 linuxmafia.com Hello li3-98.members.linode.com [64.62.190.98]
MAIL FROM: <test at www.svlug.org>
250 OK
RCPT TO: <postmaster at linuxmafia.com>
250 Accepted
DATA
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself