[sf-lug] a fascinating read: The Architecture of Open Source Applications

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:08:54 PDT 2012

 From the website:

Architects look at thousands of buildings during their training, and
study critiques of those buildings written by masters. In contrast, most
software developers only ever get to know a handful of large programs
well—usually programs they wrote themselves—and never study the great
programs of history. As a result, they repeat one another's mistakes
rather than building on one another's successes.

Our goal is to change that. In these two books, the authors of four
dozen open source applications explain how their software is structured,
and why. What are each program's major components? How do they interact?
And what did their builders learn during their development? In answering
these questions, the contributors to these books provide unique insights
into how they think.

If you are a junior developer, and want to learn how your more
experienced colleagues think, these books are the place to start. If you
are an intermediate or senior developer, and want to see how your peers
have solved hard design problems, these books can help you too.

Michael Shiloh
Artist, designer, tinkerer, teacher, geek
KA6RCQ
www.teachmetomake.com
www.teachmetomake.com/wordpress
teachmetomake.wordpress.com
groups.google.com/group/teach-me-to-make
michaelshiloh.pbworks.com

The Architecture of Open Source Applications
http://www.aosabook.org/