[sf-lug] need for .html suffix

jim jim at well.com
Mon Jun 11 21:53:07 PDT 2012

    Sorry, I don't follow your description. It seems that
* In somedir/ on your local computer there's index.html and
  otherfile.
* In the index.html file there's an href to otherfile.
* If you use your browser to open index.html and then click
  the link to otherfile, otherfile opens as you expect.
  -- Seems to me that otherfile is a valid html file, yes?
  assuming so,
* It seems you want to upload the index.html file and
  otherfile to a web server system, yes?
  -- This seems problematic: for any directory, web servers
  default to a file with a name that begins with index.
  and, depending on the web server design, with subsequent
  characters such as html or php or some other. (as a matter
  of formality, a Linux filename has no sub-structures such
  as .exe or .bat or other as far as the filesystem goes.)
     So your uploading should not overwrite any existing
  file with the name index.html and there's the possibility
  of contention if the directory has a file such as index.php
  as well as your (newly uploaded) file named index.html.
     I think.
     Also there's the matter of permissions: does your
  index.html file have executable permissions?
  -- Also (assuming I've described things correctly), what
  does this have to do with otherfile or otherfile with this?

    Let me know where I've fallen off your truck--correct my
description, please.