[sf-lug] need for .html suffix

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 20:44:29 PDT 2012

Perhaps lighttpd default MIME-type settings (or more specifically, lack
thereof)?  I don't know lighttpd well, but perhaps
http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/lighttpd/wiki/Mimetype.assignDetailshas
some relevant answers.

It doesn't necessarily help, if you can't change the configuration, but
perhaps at least makes the behavior more understandable.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Alex Kleider <a_kleider at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've just come across some puzzling behavior as follows.
> index.html (parent page) contains an href to a file in the same directory.
> Whether the referenced file is called index.khan or k1.html makes no
> difference if I test locally (i.e. point browser @
> file:///home/alex/BookSite/index.html and then click on the link) but once
> uploaded to the server, if that file doesn't have the suffix '.html', the
> browser/server relationship breaks down and I get a notice that my link is
> to a bin file and I am given the option to save it but it won't display.
> Should I have expected this?
> I'm using lighttpd as the server running Debian/Lenny on a DreamPlug (arm
> processor) and firefox under Ubuntu 12.04 as browser on my laptop. I'm
> curious to know who (I assume it must be the server) decides the file type,
> and if it is the server, perhaps this is a configuration issue.  I'm using
> lighttpd simply because it comes by default on the DreamPlug. I've never
> run into anything like this before although I can't specifically remember
> if I've ever tried using an html file that wasn't named with the '.html'
> suffix.
> alex
>
> a_kleider at yahoo.com

There Are More Than Two Ways To Do It