[sf-lug] need for .html suffix

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 20:44:29 PDT 2012

Perhaps lighttpd default MIME-type settings (or more specifically, lack
thereof)?  I don't know lighttpd well, but perhaps
some relevant answers.

It doesn't necessarily help, if you can't change the configuration, but
perhaps at least makes the behavior more understandable.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Alex Kleider <a_kleider at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've just come across some puzzling behavior as follows.
> index.html (parent page) contains an href to a file in the same directory.
> Whether the referenced file is called index.khan or k1.html makes no
> difference if I test locally (i.e. point browser @
> file:///home/alex/BookSite/index.html and then click on the link) but once
> uploaded to the server, if that file doesn't have the suffix '.html', the
> browser/server relationship breaks down and I get a notice that my link is
> to a bin file and I am given the option to save it but it won't display.
> Should I have expected this?
> I'm using lighttpd as the server running Debian/Lenny on a DreamPlug (arm
> processor) and firefox under Ubuntu 12.04 as browser on my laptop. I'm
> curious to know who (I assume it must be the server) decides the file type,
> and if it is the server, perhaps this is a configuration issue.  I'm using
> lighttpd simply because it comes by default on the DreamPlug. I've never
> run into anything like this before although I can't specifically remember
> if I've ever tried using an html file that wasn't named with the '.html'
> suffix.
> alex
> a_kleider at yahoo.com

There Are More Than Two Ways To Do It