[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting this Sunday May 6, 2012

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun May 6 17:21:15 PDT 2012

     We had a good meeting.

             Daniel, and Ken Schaeffer helped me solve my
problems with WiFi on my notebook.   After some
diagnostic investigation it was determined that the
AR5001 wireless was shut down.   This seems to be
the fault of the supplied driver.
      It seems that the usual driver has to be blacklisted
and then if your install does not have rfkill you will
need to get that.
         Because my wireless was down Daniel used
his smart phone through a USB connection to let
me connect and download rfkill.  After rfkill was
installed Ken used it to set the WiFi device back to
unblocked.  This took about 7/8 of the meeting
to complete but I was able finally to get my mail
and Usenet thru the Cafe Enchante WiFi.  Even
when it was working before this was problematic.

         John Strazziano showed up with his iPad and
demoed it a bit for us.  He was showing us pictures
of a new grandchild and the illustrations of the tablet
  ZaReason  is working on.  They need to wait on
further improvement in the FOSS drivers for the tablet
though.
<http://www.thevarguy.com/2011/09/29/zareason-working-to-release-first-true-open-source-tablet/>
     Jim Stockford is back from Peru and his presence
added to the occasion.
         Eric showed up with no special problems.
         Jim gave myself, Eric and Daniel rides to
our next destinations after the meeting.
         Thanks Jim.

         Bobbie Sellers