[sf-lug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

jim jim at well.com
Fri Mar 2 12:11:24 PST 2012

>From your description it seems there are three considerations:
1 training (or maybe hiring policies): it's possible
  for experienced and competent engineers to delete
  all of /usr/ but rare. My guess is the person who
  did so was not familiar with Unix-like systems.
2 sudo fine-tuning: despite widespread information
  about best or good or other practices, systems are
  often installed and configured the fastest way
  possible. In this case, perhaps all sudoers have
  root privileges. If so, consider setting up some
  sudoers to have permissions for one or more groups
  so that they don't have total destruction powers.
3 mounting: consider mounting most partitions in
  read-only mode. This makes updating and upgrading
  a bit more painful, but think of that as good:
  the extra hurdle may remind upgraders to be
  mindful of various considerations.
    I like choices 1 and 2 a lot.

    I don't see how the issue of partition sizing
relates to the problem you described. As to sizing,
seems to me the main consideration these days is
copying (mainly backups). Another is that you have
some requirement for different types of filesystems.
    Most system files are just as well stored on
the partition that has the root filesystem. The
exception might be /var/ if there's a lot of
activity or the possibility of log file overflow.
    If the host allows only a few users shell access,
it may or may not be smart to put /home/ on a
separate partition (if your developers are using
a version-control repo, maybe they have little or
no data to store on their /home/ directories on
this host).
    The /opt/ and /srv/ directory names are used
for special (usually big) application software.
Consider making a /data/ directory or some such.
In the case that a top-level directory stores
"variable" data, it's probably good (or "best")
that it's on a separate partition.