[sf-lug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

nk oorda nk.oorda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 01:05:42 PST 2012

i need some suggestion for defining the partition size for my production
systems.  we are going to use CentOS 6.2 (64 bit)

- Partition size
- Mount points

What i am able to get from the google search is:

/            Root File System (/bin , /sbin , /dev , /root
/usr       program and source
/var        variable data
/boot     boot kernels
/tmp      temp file locations
/work     to do your work here "you can name it anything"

   - */home* - Set option nosuid, and nodev with diskquota option
   - */usr* - Set option nodev
   - */tmp* - Set option nodev, nosuid, noexec option must be enabled
   - /var   local,nodev,nosuid

Most of the server will be running
- Apache

and few of them would be running MySQL as data base.

what is concern is that one of the developer accidentally deleted the /usr
files with sudo access. if somehow i can protect the core system from the
developers mistake that would be really good.

Thanks in advance for help.