[sf-lug] filesystem for a 3TB external USB drive

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 3 19:09:51 PST 2012

Quoting jim (jim at systemateka.com):

>     My answer is "a filesystem is a technology that includes
> a database, a directory structure and a single unnamed
> directory, and some software routines in the kernel that can
> manage the database and directories."

Some problems with that.

A filesystem does not incorporate any part of what's in your kernel.
Filesystems need not include anything much like a database.  In some
filesystems (none that are Linux-native), the top-level directory is
named.  And filesystems aren't necessarily based on directories at all
(though they usually are).

You might want to read up on block groups, superblocks, and inodes.

> Probably helpful to see such in tabular format that maps filesystem
> names to filesystem features.

Like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems