[sf-lug] bought used lenovo laptop with windows; never registered; can i request refund?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 03:20:39 PST 2011

I know it's possible to request a rebate for a never used copy of
Windows on a new computer. How does this work with a used/refurbished?

I purchased a T61P through Lenovo's used/refurbished program. The Lenovo
salesperson explained that they don't include CDs but just install
Windows on every computer. I had a spare large disk so simply removed
the disk that came with the laptop and installed Linux on my disk.

Can I get a rebate for the Windows tax on the completely unused Windows
installation on the original disk?